Each Western Civilization Fellowship recipient receives a $20,000 grant.
The Western Civilization Fellowship is granted to current graduate students with a research interest in and dedication to the Western tradition.
- Applicants must be members of the Intercollegiate Studies Institute.
- Graduate Fellowship applicants must engage in graduate studies for the purpose of teaching at the college level.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens, who will be enrolled in a full-time graduate program for academic year 2014-2015.
- Those attending pre-professional (medical, law, divinity, business, etc.) schools are ineligible.
- Applicants may apply for more than one fellowship in any given academic cycle. For each fellowship sought, applicants must submit separate copies of all components of the application.
Required Application Materials
- An original, five- to ten-page essay responding to the following question: In your own field of study, how is liberty related to Western Civilization?
- One-page outline of prior education, awards, fellowships, and internships
- Three- to five-page personal, philosophical, and professional autobiography
- Five- to ten-page academic writing sample
- Three academic letters of recommendation (Must be sent by the recommender and include the Graduate Fellowships Program Letter of Recommendation Form)
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work (May be mailed by the issuing institution or the applicant)
- Brief responses to the following four questions:
- Why the applicant has chosen teaching as a profession
- Why the applicant desires a fellowship
- How the applicant heard about the ISI Fellowship Program
- Signed declaration of intent to teach
Personal philosophical statement and academic writing samples must be 12 point standard font and double spaced.
How to Apply
- Become an ISI Student Member. You will be notified within 1–2 business days that your profile has been established.
(If you already have a MyISI account and are a member, proceed to step 2.)
- After your profile has been established, apply through the ISI Programs Application Portal. (The portal is currently closed.)